Fevers caused by the body’s immune system are not dangerous. While it can be frightening to have your child run a moderate to high fever, it is simply their body doing what it was designed to do. For all children above the age of 3 months, a fever is actually a good thing. It is a sign that their immune system is functioning properly.
What is a fever?
- A true low grade fever is anything between 100 and 102.2 degrees Fahrenheit
- A moderate grade fever is between 102.2 and 104.5
- A high fever is anything over 104.5
What to do: For children over the age of 3 years, the best response to a fever below 104.5 is lots of rest and clear fluids.
When to see your healthcare provider:
- If your child is younger than 3 months with any grade of fever
- If your child is between 3 months and 3 years and has a fever above 102.2
- Any child with a fever above 104.5.
Corner on Wellness, Bothell’s Chiropractic Choice™, serves the communities of Bothell, Kenmore, Woodinville, and Lake Forest Park. Drs David Arthur and Suzie Shay have a combined 36 years of experience treating injuries related to car accidents, work, sports and Pediatrics.