Self-Care / Activities of Daily Living Instructions
The “Do’s & Don’ts” List
In order to help you get the best possible results from your care, we have composed this list of general “Do’s and Don’ts.” If you have specific questions about other ways to manage your injury or problem, please ask!
Your Treatment Schedule
Do keep your appointments and follow your recommended treatment schedule. The doctor has designed a schedule for you so that you may get the results you want in the most efficient manner. Therefore, it is extremely important to show up for your appointments and be consistent with the doctor’s care recommendations, home exercises or any other advice you may receive.
- Do sleep on your side and back.
- Do place pillows under knees and neck while sleeping on back.
- Do place pillows under neck and between knees when sleeping on side.
- Don’t sleep on your stomach. It places strain on your neck and lower back.
- Do lift with a straight back and bend at the knees
- Don’t twist, lean and bend when lifting
- Don’t lift more weight than the doctor has recommended
- Do take breaks when sitting, every 30-45 minutes
- Don’t sit hunched over or slouched
- Do start walking daily as soon as you can tolerate it
- Don’t begin any exercise or weight program without talking to the doctor first
- Don’t believe the “no pain no gain” theory!
- Do take breaks driving, every 30-45 minutes, and get out and walk
- Do set your rearview mirror to a height that requires good posture to see it
- Do use the lumbar support if your vehicle is equipped with one
Using Ice / Heat
- Do ask the doctor whether it is better to use ice or heat
- Don’t use ice/heat for more than 20-30 minutes per hour
- Don’t place ice/heat directly on the skin; use a towel
Vitamins / Supplements
- Do take a multi-vitamin daily
- Do ask the doctor if there are specific vitamins/supplements that may aid your problem/pain.
- Do try to drink between 64ozs or half your body weight (in ounces) of water per day.
- Don’t count anything else as water except water! (Coffee, tea, pop, juice, etc all do not count as water!!)
Do refer others to our office!
Referrals are the highest compliment we receive, a sign we’re doing our job, and how we prefer to do business!!!
Better health and wellness is just a click or call away
There are no upcoming events.